Peruvian Quinoa: Benefits and Business
What is Quinoa?
According to Healthline.com, Quinoa is often called a grain but is actually a tiny, edible seed from the Chenopodium quinoa, or goosefoot, plant. The Oldways Whole Grain Council considers quinoa a “pseudocereal,” a food eaten like a grain with similar nutrition. Quinoa is native to the Andes (Peru and Bolivia). It is related to beets, Swiss chard, and spinach.
Quinoa was an Incan diet staple which almost became obsolete after the Spanish explorer Francisco Pizarro destroyed Incan quinoa fields in the 1500s. Quinoa made a comeback in the 1970s but earned its household name over the last few years due to its versatility and impressive health benefits.
1. Vitamins: Quinoa provides B vitamins like riboflavin (vitamin B-2), thiamine (vitamin B-1), and folic acid (vitamin B-9).
2. Minerals: Quinoa is a good source of minerals, particularly high in magnesium.
3. Fiber: Quinoa is a good source of dietary fiber, coming in at about 5 grams per 1 cup cooked.
4. Helps Prevent Constipation: Much of quinoa’s fiber is insoluble fiber. Insoluble fiber doesn’t have the same health benefits as soluble fiber but it helps increase stool bulk and helps move food more quickly through the digestive track. Insoluble fiber keeps the gut healthy and can help lower cholesterol.
5. Helps Manage Blood Sugar: Quinoa is a good source of carbohydrates yet has a low glucemic index and is digested slowly.
6. Protein and Essential Amino Acids: Proteins are responsible for growth, health, maintenance and repair of the body, and are found in every living cell. Quinoa is one of few plant foods that is a complete protein. This means it includes all essential amino acids in good proportion. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of protein — more than one large egg!
7. Antioxidants: Quinoa is rich in flavonoid antioxidants, helping to fight free radicals in the body and may help prevent chronic diseases.
8. Gluten-Free: Quinoa is gluten-free, so it’s a great choice for people with celiac disease or anyone avoiding gluten.
9. Improves Fullness and Satiety: Quinoa’s nutritional profile makes it ideal for any healthy eating program. It’s higher in fat than other grains, and this along with its low glycemic index and high protein and fiber content can help keep you feeling full for a longer period of time.
10. Cholesterol Effects: Quinoa may help lower cholesterol.
Highlights: doing business with Quinoa?
Peru is the largest producer of quinoa. From January to June 2016, Peru exported more than $47 million worldwide.
There are 144 Peruvian companies exporting quinoa of different varieties, qualities and presentation according to the demands of global buyers.
The main exporters of quinoa in Peru are:
1. Alisur S.A.C.
2. Vinculos Agricolas E.I.R.L.
3. Aplex Trading S.A.C.
4. Colorexa Sociedad Anonima Cerrada
5. Grupo Organico Nacional S.A
The main markets of destination of Peruvian quinoa during this first half-year are:
1. United States
3. United Kingdom
According to TradeData GCG, there are more than 300 global buyers of Peruvian quinoa around the world. The top buyers are:
1. Colorexa Corp.
2. American Roland Food Corp
3. Otis Mcallister Inc 300
4. Voicevale Ltd
5. Roland Foods, Llc
TradeData GCG updates every month two Business Directories of quinoa:
1. Business Directory GCG – Global Buyers of Peruvian Quinoa: this business directory is a great tool for exporters of quinoa or companies that need to know who are the buyers of Peruvian quinoa around the world to promote their products, contact them by email or telephone, send them samples and more.
2. Business Directory GCG – Producers of Peruvian Quinoa: if you want to import Peruvian quinoa, this directory is useful for you. This shows all exporters of quinoa in the year 2016, contact information and quantity.
Do you want to know more than 1200 importers and exporters of quinoa?
Sign up to our private platform and expand your business of quinoa globally, identifying new markets, best prices, new suppliers, buyers and more.
Subscribe and receive new insights about global trade of quinoa.
For any question of Peruvian exporters, global importers of Peruvian Quinoa, feel free to contact us:
Phone (USA): +1 917 512 2872
Phone (Peru): +51 992736260
Whatsapp, WeChat : +51 99273 6260